Trying to fit workouts into your busy day when you are at home with young children is tough but it’s not as impossible as it may seem. Stay focused on your goals and try these simple tips to get those workouts complete.
- Make it quick: If like me you simply do not have time (or the will power) to go for a run or go the gym so you can do ALL your workouts from home. I mostly don’t even get changed for them – I am pretty much always wearing leggings, a vest top when I am at home and it’s not really necessary to get changed for these quick workouts so if I can shave some time off by just working out in what I am wearing I will.
- Find them on Youtube: All my workouts I find on YouTube and set up on my laptop or phone on my kitchen counter. They are MAXIMUM 20 minutes and I try do them every other day. If it goes well, without too many interruptions, I will add another short one on the end.
- Prepare to be interrupted: I will put on the boys favourite show to keep them entertained. I will prep some snacks but keep them with me until they need distracting and I can then pass them something to get an extra couple of minutes before they come back for more! When they do eventually come in whining and wont leave me alone- I will pick them up and use them as a weight or lie them on the mat and pretend its all about them.
- Be equipped: I have an exercise mat and I recently brought some 2kg dumbbell weights. They are so worth it because by using weights I can get in the extra workout without putting in double the time. Also I really need to work on my strength to carry three children around!
- Don’t sweat it: It not essential to get all sweaty to feel like you’ve done a good workout – if I know my husband is going to be home and I will be able to go in the shower straight away I might go for it on some harder ones – but usually after 10 minutes I’ve cooled down and my dressing gown is back on and I will have a shower when I next can.
I hope these tips help you if you are wanting to workout but struggling to find the time. I would love to hear what you do to stay fit with young kids….xx